- IMPORTANT: Transferring your domain name to another registrar cancels your OfficeLive account and you will lose all your web pages, email, etc.
- The Domain Registration Key (DRK) provided initially is different from the Domain Name password required later during domain name transfer. MelbourneIT calls it Domain Name Password/authinfo (see step 19 below) while GoDaddy calls it an Authorization Code.
- The cancellation confirmation email from OfficeLive comes in a couple of minutes and does not take 48 hours as mentioned below.
- Make sure the domain name is unlocked at MelbourneIT before attempting a transfer to another registrar.
Procedure to transfer your domain name from OfficeLive
(i.e. from Melbourne IT)
Please write down your Domain Registration Key (DRK) to unlock your domain name at Melbourne IT, by following these instructions:
1. Go to http://www.officelive.com
2. Login into your Microsoft Office Live account using administrator Windows Live ID and password
3. On the Home page, at the top of the page click on ‘More’ option
4. In the drop down menu, select Domain manager
5. Click on the link ‘Learn about saving your information’
6. Write down your domain name and Domain Registration Key.
When you retrieve the DRK for your domain, please follow these instructions to cancel your Microsoft Office Live account:
1. Sign in to your Microsoft Office Live account using your Windows Live ID and the associated password
2. On the Home Page click on “Account Management” under “Manage Your Office Live Account”
3. Now, click on “Cancel your account” on the middle of the page
4. Click on Next
5. Select the reason for cancelling the account
6. Click on Next and enter your alternate email address where you want the cancellation confirmation email
7. Now, click on “Cancel this account”
Note: You will receive a cancellation confirmation email within 48 hours along with the Domain Registry Key (DRK) details associated with your domain.
Once you cancel your account with Microsoft Office Live, if you want to transfer your domain name to another web host provider, please follow the below steps on how to unlock and manage your domain name:
2. Enter your domain name and registry key and click on continue
3. Click on ‘create a new account’ below the text box where you are prompted for My account password
3.1. Fill up all the information needed:
3.1.1. Contact Information
3.1.2. Login Information
3.1.3. Other Information:
3.2. The Country Code is “1” for United States (for UK it is 44)
3.3. The email address you enter must not be related to the domain you are attempting to transfer/manage
4. After filling up all the information, check the box that says I have read and understood the Sign Up Terms and Conditions. I agree to abide by the terms and conditions, as stated there in
5. Click Create. Now your account is created
6. On the My Account Console page, click Logout on the right side of the page
7. Now you will be redirected to the Melbourne IT web site
8. Click Manage Domain Name on the right side of the page
9. Type your domain and registry key
10. Click Enter Management
11. Click Transfer management to Melbourne IT
12. Sign in using the username and password for your Melbourne IT account using the username and password, which you created for your Melbourne IT account
13. Click Continue after you have verified all the information on the page
14. Click on My Account console
15. Click on the link “View/Manage domain name” under the Domain Names
16. Click on your domain name (customer domain name) under the Domain Name section
17. Click on the Unlock Domain Name
18. To change name server, click on Change Delegation Details under Name Server Details on the right side of the page. Here, you can change the domain name server settings for your new service provider
19. To obtain new authorization code in order to transfer your domain, click Retrieve Domain Name (authinfo) Password (on the same page on point 17)
Upon cancellation, you will no longer have access to email accounts created through your Microsoft Office Live account. If you still want to cancel your Microsoft Office Live account, then please reply to the confirmation along with the requested details.
The DRK is the authorization code needed to transfer your domain name. With the DRK you will be able to manage your domain with another hoster and change the name servers.