You can access your SmarterMail accounts with a desktop client like Mozilla Thunderbird 10 by using either IMAP or POP3. Please note that currently Thunderbird 10 can only synchronize SmarterMail messages. Funambol SyncML and the Lightning add-on are required to synchronize your calendar and contact data. Versions of these products supporting Thunderbird 10 are still in development. To see if updated versions of the Funambol and Lightning add-ons have been released, please visit http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird.
Utilizing IMAP allows all messages and folders to be stored on the server. In addition to that IMAP provides an optional feature that pushes all new messages to Thunderbird 10 as they are received by the mail server. Unlike POP3, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). Meaning that when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa).
When using POP3 email is saved in a mailbox to a remote server till the user (you) checks their mail. Your mail is then downloaded to your choice of device and is no longer maintained on the server. When POP3 users are traveling or checking their mail from a multiple of locations, older emails will cease be visible because the messages will only exist on the device/computer you originally received your mail. Please note though that you can enabled Thunderbird to keep messages on the server so you will be able to access your messages and folders from any computer via the SmarterMail Web interface or choice of mobile device.
Applies to SmarterMail 9.x – 12.x
Follow these steps to create an IMAP or POP3 account in Thunderbird 10:
1. While in Thunderbird client, go to Tools and Account Settings.
2. Click Account Actions and then click Add Mail Account.
3. Fill and complete the following fields:
- Your Name.
- Your Email Address (i.e. email@example.com).
- Your Password.
4. Then click on Continue.
5. Once Thunderbird finishes detecting your settings you must select either IMAP or POP, depending on which method you would like to use and to receive messages. If the configuration was not automatically detected, then please refer to the steps below regarding manual configuration.
6. Final click Create Account.
If Thunderbird does not automatically detect your settings, follow these steps:
1. Repeat the first 4 Steps above.
2. After Thunderbird 10 fails to recognize your mail settings again then click Manual config.
3. For the incoming server, select your desired method of retrieval and then enter your mail host or server name into the server/hostname field.
4. Select the port required for your mail server (Default for IMAP is 143, Default for POP is 110) and then choose the correct SSL setting based on your server’s configuration.
5. Leave the authentication set at auto-detect.
6. For the Outgoing server, enter your server hostname, select the port and select the appropriate SSL setting based on your server configuration. Leave the authentication set to auto-detect.
7. For the username, enter your full email address.
8. Click Re-Test.
9. Once the test has finished, click Create Account.
For more information, refer to SmarterMail’s online Help.